WAKEFORD FARM, PAMBER PLACE
Neighbours: Tadley, Aldermaston (Berkshire), Silchester, Bramley, Sherborne St John, Monk Sherborne.
Population: 238 (1801), 316 (1811), 409 (1821), 473 (1831), 484 (1841), 644 (1851), 677 (1861), 670 (1871), 694 (1881), 709 (1891), 678 (1901).
THE CHURCH OF ST MARY & ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
(PAMBER PRIORY CHURCH)
THE PARISH CHURCH OF PAMBER AND THE SHERBORNES
Priory church: St Mary and St John the Baptist (vicarage, attached to Monk Sherborne). Surviving registers from 1661.
Primitive Methodist chapel.
Manors: Pamber (Basingstoke Hundred, formerly Barton Stacey Hundred); Wyford alias Withyford (see Tadley). Bailiwick of Pamber Forest.
Recorded as Penberga in 1165 [Pipe Rolls], Old English, either pen bearo, meaning “the enclosed grove” or pen bær, “the pasture with an enclosure”.
SOURCES. Victoria County History of Hampshire, vol iv, 433-35; Hampshire Treasures, Vol 2 (Hampshire County Council); various Hampshire trades directories; Land Tax Assessments (Hampshire Record Office); Crockford’s Clerical Directories; Eilert Ekwall, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names [Oxford University Press].