Customer Log In

Laverstoke

LAVERSTOKE_HOUSE.jpg

LAVERSTOKE HOUSE

1,966 acres.

Neighbours: Freefolk, Whitchurch, Sidmonton, Overton, Micheldever.

Population: 88 (1801), 96 (1811), 101 (1821), 117 (1831), 123 (1841), 132 (1851), 122 (1861), 170 (1871), 182 (1881), 173 (1891), 132 (1901).

Parish church: St Mary the Virgin (rectory), serving the combined parish of Laverstoke and Freefolk from 1872. The older church of St Mary stands in Laverstoke Park, partly demolished 1953. Surviving registers from 1656.

Manors: Laverstoke; Freefolk Manor alias Freefolk Syfrewast (Overton Hundred).

Recorded as Lavrochestoche in 1086 [Domesday Survey], Old English læwerce stoc, meaning “the place or settlement frequented by larks”.

SOURCES. Victoria County History of Hampshire, vol iv, 208-10; Hampshire Treasures, Vol 2 (Hampshire County Council); various Hampshire trades directories; Land Tax Assessments (Hampshire Record Office); Crockford’s Clerical Directories; Eilert Ekwall, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Place Names [Oxford University Press].

Home    | Customer Log In
Free SSL Certificate